1. The President and the Vice-President shall be elected jointly through a direct general election by means of a secret ballot.
2. The joint election of the President and the Vice-President shall be based on the list system and shall take place a month before the end of the term of office of the outgoing President.
3. The outgoing President and Vice-President shall continue in office until the new President and the Vice-President assume their offices within a month (of the election).
4. The two candidates in the list which obtains the highest number of votes cast in the Presidential and Vice-Presidential election shall be recognised as the successful candidates.
5. If on the expiry of the term of office of the President and the Vice-President, it is not possible, because of security considerations, to hold the election of the President and the Vice-President, the House of Elders shall extend their term of office whilst taking into consideration the period in which the problems can be overcome and the election can be held.
Article 84: Oath of Office of the President and the Vice-President
Before the President and the Vice-President can assume office, they shall be sworn at a ceremony attended by the Speakers of the House of Representatives and the House of Elders and the Chairman of the Supreme Court.
Article 85: Matters in which the President and the Vice-President are not Allowed
1. The President and the Vice-President and their spouses shall not engage in any business activities during their term of office.
2. The President shall not be absent from the country for a period exceeding 45 (forty five) consecutive days unless the absence is for reasons of health.
3. All presents given, as a mark of respect for their office, to the President, the Vice-President, their spouses and the senior officers of the nation, who have a national standing, shall be the property of the nation.
In Somali language :
1. Waxa Madaxweynaha iyo Ku-xigeenka Madaxweynaha Iagu dooranayaa qaabka doorashada guud oo toos ah; isla markaana qarsoodi ah iyaga oo isku lammaan.
2. Doorashada Madaxweynaha iyo Ku-xigeenka Madaxweynaha, oo isku mar loo codaynayo, kuna salaysan habka u codaynta liistada, waxa Ia qaban doonaa bil ka hor dhammaadka muddada xilka Madaxweynaha hore.
3. Madaxweynaha iyo Madaxweyne-ku-xigeenka hore ayaa sii wadi doona hawlaha ay u xil-saarnaayeen ilaa Madaxweynaha iyo Ku-xigeenka cusubi kala wareegaan xilka muddo bil ah gudaheed.
4 Waxa loo aqoonsanayaa inay doorashada Madaxweyaha iyo Ku-xigeenka Madaxweynahu ku guulaysteen labada qof ee magacyadoodu ku sheegan yihiin liistada hesha codadka ugu tirada badan.
5. Haddii ay suurtoobi weydo duruufo Ia xidhiidha nabadgelyada darteed in la qabto doorashada Madaxweynaha iyo Ku-xigeenka Madaxweynaha marka muddadii xilkoodu dhammaato, waxa Golaha Guurtida waajib ku ah in ay muddada xilka u kordhiyaan Madaxweynaha iyo Ku-xigeenka Madaxweynaha, iyaga oo tixgelinaya muddada dhibaatada lagaga gudbi karo; doorashaduna ku qabsoomi karto