Pontus Marine LTD- Leader of fishing industry in Somaliland

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Malta : Omar back behind bars, this time for stealing

 - Malta -Wednesday, 16 April 2014 - Somali-born Omar Osman Omar, 35, of Valletta, was jailed for 18 months after pleading guilty to stealing from the sailing vessel ‘La Yazula’, berthed at Ta’ Xbiex.

It is not the first time Osman has been jailed – in the past he was convicted of rape and numerous breaches of bail conditions. He is also undergoing procedures after allegedly assaulting a former Royal Marines cadet.
Malcom Pace, master of the yacht ‘La Yazula’, reported to the police at around midday on 8 April that an unknown person had gained access on board the boat and from inside stole a Sany Vaio laptop - containing sensitive information, an HTC mobile phone and a Bvlgari watch. The items were stolen from the yacht's lobby.
The captain informed the police that the owner of the yacht was Husni Husni Bey. Bey, a successful entrepreneur, was a public critic of the Gaddafi regime and had been arrested various times by the regime. In 2010, he acquired 80% of the Metropolis project. Original plans for the Gzira development includes three high-rise buildings of 13, 27 and 33 floors. The project includes luxury residential, commercial, leisure facilities, and an underground car park of 5,000 spaces.
On site investigations led by Inspector Sandro Millo revealed that the culprit had gained access to the boat by jumping onto the gangway which was lowered toward the quay but elevated from ground level. Once on the gangway the thief climbed on to the boat’s tender and onto a flight of steps leading to the first deck. CCTV footage provided the police with a detailed description of a man having dark complexion and wearing a white cap.
Further investigations led the police to Omar Osman Omar, currently on bail. The suspect was searched and the stolen items were found in his possession. Omar was yesterday arraigned over charges of theft, handling stolen property, breaching bail conditions, and relapsing. He pleaded guilty.
Magistrate Miriam Hayman noted the accused’s guilty plea and handed him an 18-month jail term. The court also revoked Omar’s bail and called in the €10,000 personal guarantee he had pledged for his bail. Dr David Bianco represented the accused.
Source : Independent
Follow Us
Share this :